SIGNIFICANT INVESTOR VISA
Business Innovation and Investment Provisional (Subclass 188)
Significant Investor Stream
Who is this visa for?
Do you want to own a business in Australia?
Do you want to manage a business already existing in Australia?
Do you want to invest in an Australian state or territory?
Then this visa is for you.
The visa includes three streams:
- Business Innovation stream: for people with business skills who want to establish, develop and manage a new or existing business in Australia.
- Investor stream: for people who want to make a designated investment of at least $1,500,000 in an Australian state or territory and maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
- Significant Investor stream: for people who are willing to invest at least $5,000,000 into complying investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
The Validity Period of this Visa
You will get a 4 year visa. You can apply for permanent residence once you have met the requirements, in some instances in as little as 2 years.
You might be able to extend your stay under an extension stream if you need extra time to meet the criteria for a permanent visa.
Reasons to Apply for this Visa
This visa lets you
- Apply for permanent residence in Australia once you meet the visa requirements;
- establish a new or purchase an existing business and/or invest in Australia;
- make a designated investment with an Australian state or territory government or make and maintain complying investments in Australia
- travel in and out of Australia for the life of your visa
- bring family members with you to Australia
The General Requirements
You might be able to get this visa if:
- you are nominated by a state or territory government
- you are invited to apply
- you (and all your family members) meet certain health and character requirements
- you meet the additional requirements for the stream in which you apply.
- You do not outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
You must make a complying investment of at least 5,000,000 in any of the following options, in any proportion, and hold that investment continuously for at least 4 years:
- Commonwealth, state or territory government bonds
- Eligible managed funds – that are limited to investing in any or all of the following Australian assets:
- infrastructure projects in Australia
- cash held by Australian deposit-taking institutions
- bonds issued by the Australian Government or a State or Territory government
- bonds, equity, hybrids or other corporate debt in Australian companies and trusts listed on any Australian stock exchange
- bonds or term deposits issued by Australian financial institutions
- real property in Australia
- Australian agribusiness
- annuities issued by an Australian registered life company
- loans secured by mortgages over the investments listed above
- derivatives used for portfolio management and non-speculative purposes (which constitute no more than 20% of the total value of the managed fund)
- other managed funds that invest in the investments listed above
- direct investment into private Australian companies – in which you have an ownership interest. The company must operate a qualifying business.
Income that you earn from your complying investment in Australia is subject to tax under Australian taxation law.
You must also have a genuine and realistic commitment to:
- reside in the state or territory whose government agency nominated you
- continue your business and investment activity in Australia after your complying investment matures
- live in Australia for at least 160 days over four years while holding your provisional visa.
You, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have net assets of at least $5,000,000 that are legally acquired, unencumbered, and available to be used to make the complying investment in Australia.
You and your partner must not have been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.
You, your partner and other family members aged at least 18 must agree not to bring any action against the Commonwealth for any loss relating to your complying investment.
We will tell you of all the details whether you will have to undergo medical examinations or not.This applies to all dependent family members included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
You will have to provide a police certificate declaring your good character. This applies to all members older than 18 included in the application.
For more information about eligibility, please contact us.