Australia, visa, migration, independent visa




This Skilled Independent visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
To be able to apply for this visa, you need to submit an expression of interest and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.

Reasons to Apply for this Visa

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia
  • You can also access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)

The General Requirements

  • Your occupation is in demand in Australia
  • You are assessed as being experienced in your occupation;
  • You are under 50 years of age
  • You have competent English
  • You pass the points test

The Process

We will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your visa eligibility.  If you have good prospects for success, we will submit an expression of interest with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

When we have submitted your expression of interest, the DIBP examines it and decides whether to nominate you to apply for the visa or not. If DIBP decides to nominate you, they will send us a letter of invitation where we will be able lodge your visa application.

To see if you are eligible for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) as a permanent residence visa, please fill in the form and send it to us at Click here to download the form.